BBC asks US court to dismiss Trump's $10 billion defamation lawsuit
Law Journals
The BBC filed a motion Monday asking a U.S. court to dismiss President Donald Trump's $10 billion lawsuit against it, warning that the case could have a "chilling effect" on robust reporting on public figures and events.
The suit was filed in a Florida court, but the British national broadcaster argued that the court did not have jurisdiction, nor could Trump show that the BBC intended to misrepresent him.
Trump filed a lawsuit in December over the way a BBC documentary edited a speech he gave on Jan. 6, 2021. The claim seeks $5 billion in damages for defamation and a further $5 billion for unfair trade practices.
Last month a judge at the federal court for the Southern District of Florida provisionally set a trial date for February 2027.
The BBC argued that the case should be thrown out because the documentary was never aired in Florida or the U.S.
"We have therefore challenged jurisdiction of the Florida court and filed a motion to dismiss the president's claim," the corporation said in a statement.
In a 34-page document, the BBC also argued that Trump failed to "plausibly allege facts showing that defendants knowingly intended to create a false impression."
Trump's case "falls well short of the high bar of actual malice," it said.
The document further claimed that "the chilling effect is clear" when Trump is "among the most powerful and high-profile individuals in the world, on whose activities the BBC reports every day."
"Early dismissal is favoured given the powerful interest in ensuring that free speech is not unduly burdened by the necessity of defending against expensive yet groundless litigation, which would constrict the breathing space needed to ensure robust reporting on public figures and events," it said.
The documentary — titled "Trump: A Second Chance?" — was aired days before the 2024 U.S. presidential election.
The program spliced together three quotes from two sections of a speech Trump made on Jan. 6, 2021, into what appeared to be one quote, in which Trump appeared to explicitly encourage his supporters to storm the Capitol building.
Among the parts cut out was a section where Trump said he wanted supporters to demonstrate peacefully.
Trump's lawsuit accuses the BBC of broadcasting a "false, defamatory, deceptive, disparaging, inflammatory, and malicious depiction" of him, and called it "a brazen attempt to interfere in and influence" the 2024 U.S. presidential election.
The broadcaster's chairman has apologized to Trump over the edit of the speech, admitting that it gave "the impression of a direct call for violent action." But the BBC rejects claims it defamed him. The furor triggered the resignations of the BBC's top executive and its head of news last year.
Related listings
-
Federal judge blocks Pentagon from labeling Anthropic a supply chain risk
Law Journals 03/27/2026A federal judge has ruled in favor of artificial intelligence company Anthropic in temporarily blocking the Pentagon from labeling the company as a supply chain risk.U.S. District Judge Rita Lin on Thursday said she was also blocking enforcement of P...
-
Trump administration's 'third country' deportation policy is unlawful, judge rules
Law Journals 02/26/2026The Trump administration's latest policy of deporting immigrants to "third countries" to which they have no ties is unlawful and must be set aside, a federal judge ruled Wednesday in a case that already reached the nation's highest court.U.S. Distric...
-
Court agrees to hear from oil and gas companies trying to block climate change lawsuits
Law Journals 02/23/2026The Supreme Court said that it will hear from oil and gas companies trying to block lawsuits seeking to hold the industry liable for billions of dollars in damage linked to climate change.The conservative-majority court agreed to take up a case from ...
Texas Adopts Statewide Texting-While-Driving Ban
Effective September 1, 2017, Texas will become the 47th state to pass a statewide ban on texting while driving. Governor Abbott’s signing of House Bill 62 is an effort to unify Texas under a uniform ban and remedy the “patchwork quilt of regulations that dictate driving practices in Texas.”
The bill specifically prohibits drivers from reading, writing, or sending an electronic message on a device unless the vehicle is stopped. That includes texting and emailing. It does not, however, prohibit dialing a number to call someone, talking on the phone using a hands-free device, or using the phone’s GPS system.
Violations would be punishable by a fine ranging from $25 to $99, to be set by each municipality. Although penalties could rise to as much as $200 for repeat offenders.
Studies have found that a driver’s reaction time is half as much when a driver is distracted by sending or reading a text message. According to state officials, in 2015 more than 105,000 traffic accidents in Texas involved distracted driving, leading to at least 476 fatalities.
