Judge Upholds $100M Verdict for Mattel
Headline Legal News
A federal judge upheld a $100 million jury verdict Monday for MattelInc. in a lengthy legal battle over rights to the Bratz doll, a rivalto Mattel's Barbie.
U.S. District Judge Stephen Larson also confirmed in his ruling lateMonday that the Bratz doll — marketed by MGA Entertainment Inc. since2001 — is Mattel property. He appointed a temporary federal receiver totake control of the Bratz brand and MGA's assets.
The receiver will decide who produces the doll and under what terms,but the order authorizes the receiver to maximize profits by "sellingBratz-branded dolls and other goods through appropriate channels oftrade and distribution."
Mattel attorneys have said in court that the company is willing andable to produce Bratz dolls once receivership issues are sorted.
MGA President Isaac Larian said his company will appeal the ruling.
Mattel sued MGA in 2004, alleging that Bratz designer Carter Bryantdeveloped the concept for the pouty-lipped doll while working forMattel.
After a four-year legal dispute, a jury last year awardedMattel $10 million for copyright infringement and $90 million forbreach of contract.
After the verdict, Mattel sought to block MGAfrom ever making the Bratz dolls, and Larson ordered the company inDecember to end its sales in early 2009.
MGA argued thatretailers would not order the toys unless the court could guaranteethey would remain in stores through most of this year. MGA got areprieve in January when Larson ruled that the dolls could remain instores for the rest of the year.
He left open the possibility that Mattel or a court-appointed receiver could ultimately market the dolls this year.
A hearing is scheduled for May 18 to discuss whether the receivership should be made permanent.
Related listings
-
South Korean Blogger Acquitted
Headline Legal News 04/20/2009A South Korean court on Monday acquitted a blogger accused of causingthe country huge financial losses by spreading misleading informationon the economy. Prosecutors had sought an 18-month prison term for Park Dae-Sung, 30 --better known by his Inter...
-
Davis Polk Recruit Ex-SEC Aide
Headline Legal News 04/17/2009Law firm Davis Polk & Wardwell recruited the Securities andExchange Commission's former enforcement chief and another formerhigh-level government lawyer to join its white-collar defense group,part of an effort to expand its Washington practice. L...
-
18-month sentence for South Korean blogger
Headline Legal News 04/16/2009Prosecutors demanded an 18-month sentenceMonday for a popular South Korean blogger who is accused of spreadingfalse financial information in a case that has ignited a debate aboutfreedom of speech in cyberspace. The 30-year-old blogger, a fierce crit...

Texas Adopts Statewide Texting-While-Driving Ban
Effective September 1, 2017, Texas will become the 47th state to pass a statewide ban on texting while driving. Governor Abbott’s signing of House Bill 62 is an effort to unify Texas under a uniform ban and remedy the “patchwork quilt of regulations that dictate driving practices in Texas.”
The bill specifically prohibits drivers from reading, writing, or sending an electronic message on a device unless the vehicle is stopped. That includes texting and emailing. It does not, however, prohibit dialing a number to call someone, talking on the phone using a hands-free device, or using the phone’s GPS system.
Violations would be punishable by a fine ranging from $25 to $99, to be set by each municipality. Although penalties could rise to as much as $200 for repeat offenders.
Studies have found that a driver’s reaction time is half as much when a driver is distracted by sending or reading a text message. According to state officials, in 2015 more than 105,000 traffic accidents in Texas involved distracted driving, leading to at least 476 fatalities.