Spirit Airlines goes out of business, ending operations immediately

Continuing Education

Spirit Airlines, an impish upstart that shook the industry with its irreverent ads and deep discount fares, announced Saturday that it has gone out of business after 34 years.

The ultralow cost airline that once operated hundreds of daily flights on its bright yellow planes and employed about 17,000 people said it had "started an orderly wind-down of our operations, effective immediately."

The airline said on its website that all flights have been canceled and customer service is no longer available.

"We are proud of the impact of our ultra-low-cost model on the industry over the last 34 years and had hoped to serve our guests for many years to come," the announcement said.

U.S. Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy said Saturday that Spirit had a reserve fund set up for customers who bought directly from the airline to get refunds. People who bought from third-party vendors like travel agents would have to seek refunds from them. He had a stark message for people flying with Spirit.

"If you have a flight scheduled with Spirit Airlines, don't show up at the airport. There will be no one here to assist you," Duffy said.

He said United, Delta, JetBlue and Southwest were offering $200 one-way flights for people who could confirm that they had Spirit confirmation numbers and proof of purchase for a limited time. Duffy also said other airlines would help with Spirit employees who might be stranded as well as offering them a preferential application process as they look for work.

Spirit said in a statement it was working to get more than 1,300 crew to their home bases and that the final Spirit flight landed at Dallas Forth Worth International Airport from Detroit Metropolitan Airport.

The company advised customers that they could expect refunds but there would be no help in booking travel on other airlines.

Five Spirit flights were still showing as "on time" on Saturday morning on the departure board in Atlanta, one of the airline's smaller stations.

A trickle of passengers who hadn't heard the news were still showing up, including Joshua Sigler, who had bought a ticket Friday for a flight Saturday to Miami.

"I'm just going to go back home," said Sigler, who didn't try to take advantage of deals some other airlines were offering to displaced Spirit passengers.

He said he had gotten no communication from Spirit, which he had flown multiple times in the past. "They get you there," he said of past flights. "It was cheap."

Former Spirit flight attendant Freddy Peterson was on a Spirit flight from Detroit that arrived in Newark around 11 p.m. Friday. He said that despite rumors flying on social media Friday, things seemed kind of normal, with more than 200 passengers on the plane.

"All our aircraft were packed," he said.

Peterson, 60, said he set his alarm clock for 3 a.m. Saturday to check the company website at the hour of the rumored shutdown.

"I said, OK, well, since all this going on, they said Spirit is supposed to close at 3, I'm going to bed. I set my alarm clock for 3 o'clock, went onto the website and it said, 'Spirit flights have been canceled,'" Peterson said.

He said Delta Air Lines brought him and another flight attendant back to Atlanta on Saturday morning, with Peterson leaving from there to drive to his home in Shellman in southwest Georgia.

"I'll probably do my boo-hoo crying and all that other stuff once I get in the car."

Peterson said he had been a flight attendant with Spirit for 10 years and the company has "done wonders for me." He said the airline's reputation for bargain basement chaos was largely undeserved, but he did fault management for not communicating with the employees in the closing days, saying a promised employee town hall was canceled.

Related listings

  • The Latest: Bolton says international court 'dead to us'

    The Latest: Bolton says international court 'dead to us'

    Continuing Education 09/09/2018

    The United States is pledging to use "any means necessary" to protect American citizens and allies from International Criminal Court prosecution. President Donald Trump's national security adviser, John Bolton, says the court is "illegitimate" a...

  • Court document details moments before fatal police shooting

    Court document details moments before fatal police shooting

    Continuing Education 08/13/2018

    Investigators say a man fired gunshots into a bedroom wall and pointed a gun at his roommate before he was fatally shot by St. Paul police.A search warrant filed Tuesday by the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension contains details about the mome...

  •  Bolivia takes sea access dispute with Chile to world court

    Bolivia takes sea access dispute with Chile to world court

    Continuing Education 03/11/2018

    Bolivia made an emotional appeal Monday for the International Court of Justice to order Chile to enter talks over granting the landlocked South American nation access to the Pacific Ocean, saying the dispute will remain a source of conflict if it's n...

Texas Adopts Statewide Texting-While-Driving Ban

Effective September 1, 2017, Texas will become the 47th state to pass a statewide ban on texting while driving. Governor Abbott’s signing of House Bill 62 is an effort to unify Texas under a uniform ban and remedy the “patchwork quilt of regulations that dictate driving practices in Texas.”

The bill specifically prohibits drivers from reading, writing, or sending an electronic message on a device unless the vehicle is stopped. That includes texting and emailing. It does not, however, prohibit dialing a number to call someone, talking on the phone using a hands-free device, or using the phone’s GPS system.

Violations would be punishable by a fine ranging from $25 to $99, to be set by each municipality. Although penalties could rise to as much as $200 for repeat offenders.

Studies have found that a driver’s reaction time is half as much when a driver is distracted by sending or reading a text message. According to state officials, in 2015 more than 105,000 traffic accidents in Texas involved distracted driving, leading to at least 476 fatalities.